Okay people, here we go! Thanks go out to Kat Marr and Joanna Coston for encouraging me to do this, and to my sweet Michael for being my in-house IT goto guy. Still totally unsure of how all this works, but I figure it can't be that difficult, right?
I'm a bit late in starting this blog, but after constantly seeing references to others' blogs on my Yahoo groups, I now see the value in keeping friends and family updated on our crazy adoption journey that began January 12th, 2009. It's also very helpful to read other adoptive families' blogs to see how similar or different their process is to yours.
Africa has been in our hearts for years. My family's first exposure to international adoption was over 50 years ago when my Great Aunt Rowena and Great Uncle Don adopted their son from Ethiopia. I have always known that I would adopt. "Have 2, adopt 1" was my mantra, even before I met Michael. When we met and began discussing having children, he wanted 3 and I wanted 2 (biological kids, that is). When I broached the subject of adoption and repeated my "mantra", he knew it was perfect. We always knew it would be Africa, and Ethiopia specifically. My good friend Kara always says, "You make plans, and G-d laughs", but I'm a planner nonetheless. We knew we didn't want an infant. We love love love babies, but we've had two of our own, with all the incredible highs and lows they bring. We realized that we absolutely adore toddlers -- that magical age of discovery that you can watch unfolding right in front of your eyes. We also realized that we love boys! It goes against the mainstream in ET adoption, where most families opt for infant girls, but we've long ago learned that you have to follow your heart. We know boys. We're good at boys. We love boys. Doing this now will (hopefully) keep our sons close in age while still preserving birth order. Kai is so very excited about his new brother, and asks me weekly when I will go get him!
And so, with a shaking hand, our journey began on January 12th, 2009, as I filled out the initial adoption application with International Adoption Net. As all adoptive families know, the ensuing paper chase is a mind-blowing, time-sucking, exercise in frustration that you muddle through without even a photo of your future child to keep you going. We finished that chase on April 12th when our dossier and home study was completed. After approval from IAN of our paperwork, we were officially "approved" and placed on the toddler boy waiting list at number 3, which is quite high and unexpected. The following day, we were bumped to number 2!
We are requesting a 2-4 year old, and the family in the number 1 slot is requesting a 4-6 year old. So, if a 2 or 3 year old boy comes into care, in reality, we are number 1. It's just so strange to think that at any moment our phone could ring with news that will change our lives forever! I'll keep you posted....

Jen!!! WOOOHOOO! LOVE the blog! I am excited to follow your journey to BB3! You have such a beautiful family.
ReplyDeleteKendell
Yay!! Congrats on your new blog-it looks great! You have a beautiful family!
ReplyDelete