Ian usually wants "Fireflies" by Faith Hill, or "Moonshadow" by Cat Stevens. When he's feeling particularly goofy, he wants me to sing him "Happy Birthday", which I think is hilarious, and so does he.
Kai wants "Godspeed" by the Dixie Chicks, "Trouble Me" by 10,000 Maniacs, or "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz. All good choices.
However, it is Eli's choice of song that is really amazing. Every night, without fail, he wants me to sing "Imagine" by John Lennon. When I sing that song, especially to him, I can rarely get through it without tearing up. Just think about these lyrics, and that I'm singing them to a boy who used to be an orphan in Africa. A boy who had nothing. A boy who has been hungry. Really hungry. A boy who had a selfless mother. A mother who had nothing but her son left in her life, but gave him up so that he might have the life she dreamed and and wished for him. A boy who once dreamed of the family that he lost and another family he might gain. Got tissues?
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion, too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
You, you may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you will join us
And the world will be as one
Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world
You, you may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you will join us
And the world will live as one

Amazing. thanks for sharing, brought tears to my eyes
ReplyDeleteChills...and tears. I listened to this song over and over and over while waiting for the boys to come home. It takes on a whole other meaning when you realize how the rest of this world lives, suffers and agonizes each and every day. Our boys are a daily reminder...and that is a wonderful thing.
ReplyDeleteGoosebumps...
ReplyDeleteOh, geez...I couldn't hardly finish reading the post...and now I can't swallow.
ReplyDeletemy all time favorite song.
ReplyDeleteand now,
for a new reason.
IMAGINE!!!! Wouldn't that be amazing?! What a sweet spirit that boy has.
ReplyDeleteChills reading this after you replied on my blog. The thought is universal. Your son is so deep and profound already. Love what you said in the post as well!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteXOXO too!
Heather
Big heart swell. Love that you sing to your boys every night.
ReplyDeleteWe're huge Cat Stevens fans in this house. Hands down, Miles prefers Cat or Yusef to anybody else. His favorite... Where Will The Children Play. I think we've got an social activist on our hands. Way to make a Momma proud :).