Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Tonight is THE night.

Wednesday is finally here. It may be 5:30 in the morning and I haven't slept all night, but it's here. Tonight is our second court date for Eli. Somewhere in Addis Ababa, thousands of miles away, his name is on a file that a judge will open. In a court proceeding that takes about 10 minutes, a judge will decide if Eli is our son. I'm sure that the reason I can't sleep is because I KNOW he's already our son. When I'm asked, I proudly tell people that I have 3 children. Kai, at 5 years old, does the same thing and tells people that he has 2 brothers. I love hearing him say that. In our hearts, we are already a family. It's the waiting for this unknown stranger to put his rubber stamp of approval on our file that is scary and frustrating.

I'm not at all worried that it won't happen eventually, but patience is hard to come by. And I worry. I worry that he may feel lonely. I worry that he may be afraid. I worry that he misses his mother and father, and there is no one to comfort him. Does he have enough to eat? Is he warm enough at night? Does anyone comfort him when he falls and bonks his knee? Does he know that his current situation is NOT his life? Is he sad? Does anyone tell him that he is loved before he goes to bed?

Eli, my son, we are coming for you, and I know it will be soon. I want to tell him to just hang on and know that we are coming. I can't even imagine how he must feel as he watches other families come and take their babies home from the orphanage. Everyone tells me that he is happy and joyous; mischievous and curious; loving and smiley. I hope with all my heart that that is true. I want to tell him that soon -- very soon -- he will come home to us, to his new house, his excited brothers, his own clean, warm bed, warm bubble baths, and snuggles on demand. I want to give him something to look forward to.

Every night, I go and check on my boys while they are sleeping. Kai and I have a standing snuggle date at 10:30pm every night. He rarely wakes up and, if I'm lucky, he will mumble his love for me in his sleep after I've straightened his covers and flipped his pillow over to "the cold side". It's what I live for. Ian is always without covers no matter how many times I've pulled them up over him. He needs to be cool as he sleeps. Yet I still go in, move him into a comfortable position, arrange his stuffed animals neatly next to him, and pull the sheet up to cover the coolness of his sweet, strong little arms. I kiss his perfect little cheek and marvel at how he looks just like my brother.

Every night it is the same. Every night I stroke my boys' hair, kiss their beautiful faces, smell their sleeping breath, and watch their chests go up and down in wonder. Every night before I leave them be, I whisper the same thing in their sleeping ears, hoping they hear it and learn it as fact: "I love you so much. You are my greatest joy, my most amazing work of art. You will change the world one day, like you've already changed mine. Thank you for picking me as your Mommy."

Soon Eli Shimeles, soon.

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! We'll be thinking of you and hoping the waiting ends today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing post! Brought tears to my eyes! Praying for everything to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK-THAT made me frickin cry! All of my prayers and good thoughts are focused on your family today. Call me as soon as you hear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I am crying too. They will never know how much we love them, until they have children of their own. Good luck tonight!! I hope we will be celebrating together tomorrow.

    Amanda King

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of your family tonight! Can't wait to hear news tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoping and praying you'll have good news tomorrow! Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope tonight will deliver the moment when bureaucratic oceans of paper part, webs of red tape unravel and fall away, and planning finally transitions to travel as we journey to unite our newly-expanded family under one roof.

    Of one thing I am completely certain: regardless of what transpires in that court room thousands of miles away, no matter how arduous the process, the waiting and worrying will ultimately surrender to happiness and relief when we're finally together.

    The Briola boys (both here and abroad) are so lucky to have you in our lives. I'm always thankful we get to share all of those silly little parenting moments we could never have imagined would mean so much.

    I love you, babe. Soon all of the papers will be filed, boxes checked, forms signed. And we'll go get our boy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the best husband in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is an absolutely beautiful post. I am in tears. I cannot wait to see pictures of that sweet boy with all of you.

    ReplyDelete